In autumn 2022 the secretariat published a report exploring the future of the RDF export market in Europe. The report was undertaken as the second phase in a research series – the first phase (released in November 2021) analysed new and emerging waste-derived fuel (WDF) markets in Europe in response to a UN report which highlighted the importance of diverting waste from landfill in Europe to reduce methane emissions.
The report provides a high-level overview of six European nations with mature WDF markets – Denmark, Germany, The Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. These countries were selected due to their;
- Extensive historic and current participation in the European transfer of WDF
- The existence of widespread advanced and mature treatment infrastructure
- Upcoming policy changes in place that have the potential to change the import and/or export market
- High potential to disrupt the wider European market if historic trends begin to change
Accordingly, for each country, the market report explores:
- Historic and current waste generation and management trends;
- Historic and current RDF imports and exports volumes;
- Current and future capacity of residual treatment infrastructure; and
- Current and future residual waste policy and taxes.
In order to access an abridged version of the market report (presented at the keynote address of the 2022 RDF Conference), please press the download button below and enter a few details about yourself. Members of the RDF Industry Group have access to the full report and should contact the secretariat if unable to access it. If you are interested in learning more about membership of the RDFIG, please email email@example.com.Download File